Last Updated on
Two-factor authentication is a means to add extra protection, you should Two-factor authentication (also known as 2FA or two-step verification) is a security method that uses two different ways to verify your identity.
Instead of only entering a password to log in, you’ll be asked to enter a code which is sent via text message to your phone or generated via an app. This verification helps make sure that only you can access your account.
Check Out: How to View Facebook Profile as Public
Today, let’s we shall see how to enable it on Facebook. Two-factor authentication is the smart way to protect your online accounts. Let’s take a look at a few of the services you can lock-down with better security.
How to Enable Two-Factor Authentification on Facebook
Facebook lets you add an extra layer of security using both, hardware-based and software-based mechanisms. First, here’s how to set up the software-based mechanism.
Steps to enable two-factor authentication using facebook app on your mobile phone
1. Open your Facebook app on your phone. If you are not logged in already, enter your login details to log in
2. Click the main menu ( the three horizontal line at the top of your timeline page.
3. Scroll down and select Settings & Privacy, Click Settings
4. Scroll down and click Security and Login under Security
5. Click Use two-factor authentication Under Two-Factor Authentication
6. Tap Get Started at the bottom of the screen
7. Choose a security method ( it can be a text message or authentication app) and click Continue
8. Enter the 6-digit code that will be sent to the phone number you used to register your Facebook account and click Next
9. Enter your Facebook password to confirm you are the owner of the account and click Continue
10. Tap Finish at the bottom of the page.
You can go directly to Facebook’s Settings and click on Use two-factor authentication.
Steps to enable two-factor authentication on the Computer
1. Visit www.facebook.com
2. Enter your Email or phone and password to log in to your account
3. Click the v-shaped icon at the top right corner of the screen
4. Scroll down and click Settings
5. Click Security and Login at the left sidebar
6. Scroll down and click Use two-factor authentication Under Two-Factor Authentication
Follow step 6 to 10 as in the case of the mobile phone above.