Do you have plans of studying at Selkirk College but don’t have knowledge of how things are done in school?
Don’t worry we are here for you. This guide accommodates essential details you are required to know as Selkirk College aspirant.
In this article, we will be listing and communicating to you important information about Selkirk College acceptance rate, tuition, courses, and requirements. Read on to get access to the information.
Selkirk College was Established in 1966, since its inception, the College has had a history of providing quality education to both residential as well as international scholars and is undoubtedly one of the coveted higher education institutes of Canada.
Selkirk College has eight campuses and learning centres across the West Kootenay and Kootenay Boundary regions: Castlegar Campus, Grand Forks Campus, Kaslo Learning Centre, Nakusp Learning Centre, Silver King Campus, Tenth Street Campus, Trail Campus, Victoria Street Campus.
Selkirk presently has 2,239 students in its eight locations and offers a variety of academic, career, vocational and technical programs. Programs are offered part-time, full-time and online.
Selkirk College Tuition
Although Canada is one of the most expensive countries in the world to study, the same cannot be said for all of its universities.
Selkirk College is a fairly affordable academic establishment that doesn’t charge much on tuition. See University College of The Cariboo Acceptance Rate.
The average annual tuition fee for undergraduate academic programs is CAD$12,140 while that of the postgraduate is CAD$13,060.
The semester tuition cost and miscellaneous fees chargeable to international students at Selkirk College for the academic session 2021-2022 are as follows:
|Tuition and Fees||Cost* (in CAD)|
|Postgraduate diploma programs||5,260|
Tuition and student services fees
late payment charges: 100
Course challenge: 40
Course outlines (pre-2010): 10
Document fee: 30
Duplicate parchment: 25
Extended health and dental: 279
External invigilation exam fee: Varies
learning resource: Varies
Prior learning assessment: Varies
Program fees: Varies
Seat deposit: 100-500
Student union: 76.32
Transcript fee per copy: 10 per official copy
Transcript fee for early processing (within 1 business day): 25
Note that the Fee varies depending on the course and progressive years. We encourage you to check the school/department’s website for the exact fee. See College of the Rockies Acceptance Rate
Selkirk offers full-time undergraduate specializations in over 60 majors and five postgraduate diplomas in the following majors:
- Business Management
- Culinary Management
- Hospitality Management
- Gerontological Nursing
However, this Canadian school doesn’t offer many major programs but nevertheless here is the list of undergraduate academic disciplines available in the college;
Advanced Interprofessional Diploma in Gerontology
- BC Electrical Code
- BC Low Chemistry
- Blacksmithing studio
- Bronze casting Studio
- Business Administration
- Carpentry apprenticeship
- Carpentry Foundation
- Ceramics Studies
- Commercial Kitchen Assistance
- Community Support Worker Associate Certificate
- Computer Science
- Cook training professional
- Culinary Management
- Digital Arts
- Digital Fabrication and Design
- Early Childhood Care and Education
- Education, assistance, and community support worker program
- Electrical apprenticeship
- Electrical foundation
- Elementary Education
- English Language Program
- Entry to pharmacy
- Fine Woodworking
- Forest Technology
- General Associate of Arts Degree
- General Associate of Science Degree
- Geographic Information Systems
- Golf Club Operations
- Health Care Assistant
- Heavy Mechanical Foundation
- Human Services Diploma
- Integrated Environmental Planning
- Law and Justice Studies
- Liberal Arts and Sciences Diploma
- Liberal Arts Diploma
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Mental Health and Addictions Associate Certificate
- Metal Fabricator Foundation
- Music and Technology
- Music and Technology Advanced Diploma
- Nursing Unit Clerk
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Office Administration and Technology Certificates
- Peace and Justice Studies
- Pharmacy Technician
- Plant Operator
- Post Graduate Diploma in Culinary Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Accounting
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Gerontological Nursing
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hospital Management
- Recreation, Fish and Wildlife
- Refrigeration Plant Operator
- Resort and Hotel Management
- Rural Pre-Medicine
- Sculptural Metal Studio
- Ski Resort Operations and Management
- Students Crafting
- SOAR (Steps to Opportunities, Academics & Readiness)
- Social Service Worker
- SPECTRUM: Lifespan Autism Resources & Training
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Textiles Studio
- Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Unarmed Civilian Peacekeeping
- General University Studies
- Web Development
- Women’s Education
To prove their eligibility for Selkirk College, international students need to provide the following set of documents at the time of application:
- Academic transcripts (original and English-translated)
- Two recommendation letters*
- Personal Statement (as per course requirements)
- Student CV (as per course requirements)
- English proficiency test score
- Work experience**
- Portfolio, as per course requirements, may include:
- Digital art
- Traditional art
- Video or animation
- Music or sound design
- Websites or programming
- Graphic design
- Criminal record check from the Ministry of Justice
- Health information form.
Note: These are general requirements for applying to Selkirk and may vary with different courses. It is recommended to check the exact requirements from the course page on the official website of the college.
Selkirk College Admission Requirements
Official transcripts must be provided as original documents in a sealed envelope directly from your previous school or through an electronic file transferred via the institution’s social accounts.
But you may ask Can I apply without an IELTS score if I plan to take it at a later date? The answer to the question is a resounding yes but applicants who do not submit their English Language scores will earn a conditional offer letter, and this can only happen once.
Admission Requirement for international students:
International applicants must ensure to meet the following criteria before applying to any full-time program at Selkirk College:
- Basic education
- Standardized exams
- English proficiency
1. Basic Education:
Applicant must be a high-school graduate from a recognized educational board
Mandatory Mathematics score of 60% aggregate or above for some courses
2. Age/Maturity: Be at least 18 years old at the time of application
3. Standardized Exams: SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT (not required)
4. English Proficiency:
Selkirk has specified the following exams and scores for all undergraduate and postgraduate applicants from non-English-speaking countries. These vary depending on the course requirements:
|Accepted Exams||Minimum Score Requirements|
|IELTS Academic||Overall 6.0 bands with no band less than 5.5|
|TOEFL (iBT)||Overall score of 80 or higher|
|Duolingo English Test (DET)||Overall score of 105 or higher|
|Language Proficiency Index||Overall score of 4 or higher|
|Program and Provincial Level English||Overall score of 51 or higher|
Please note that these are the minimum requirements to apply to certain programs offered by the college. These requirements vary with every course and specialization.
Some programs may have higher selection criteria. Merely meeting these requirements does not guarantee acceptance in any of the programs.
It is recommended to learn about detailed and specific entry requirements by visiting the exact page of the intended course on the official website.
Selkirk College is one of the prominent academic establishments in Canada. Although the school does not offer much recognized academic programs, it has a diverse range of minor degree diplomas that applicants can choose from.
The article above emphasizes on Selkirk College acceptance rate, tuition, courses and admission requirements. You can send your questions and thoughts about this article using the comment box.
Last Updated on March 29, 2023 by Admin